Gutter guards are installed to prevent leaves and other kinds of debris from entering the gutter. Clogged gutters can be a cause of concern and trouble if they fail to drain water efficiently from your house roof to the ground and start to overflow. The overflowing water can damage your house in some ways such as causing water damages to the roof and walls and staining the exterior of the house.
Gutter protectors help in some ways in keeping the gutter clean and allowing smooth water flow, thereby enhancing the longevity of the gutters, and protecting your house against potential water damages. Let us discuss in brief some of the advantages of using a gutter shutter:
- It prevents leaves and other kinds of outer elements to enter the gutter and clog them, thereby reducing the frequency level at which you needed to clean your drains. This saves you the hassle of calling for professional help to clean the gutters or risk your safety by getting to the top of your house roof to clean them.
- Without a sewer guard, garbage can get into your gutters and accumulate in there. During wet seasons, if there is wet debris in the drains, it can lead to untimely rusting of the drain troughs. It can also cause the formation of mold and other harmful microorganisms. Gutter shutters help against these damages, thereby enhancing the durability of your drains.
- Logged water in the gutters can freeze during the winters and leak through the roofs, thereby damaging your house considerably. Sewer protectors help in smooth water drainage from the roofs to the ground, thereby preventing freezing.
- Because gutter shutters help in the prevention of logs, water in your sewers, it stops insects such as mosquitoes, cockroaches, spiders and more to breed and grow in the sewers.
- Gutter guards are extremely helpful in places that are prone to bushfire. Since it stops the accumulation of debris in the sewers, it doesn’t provide floating embers with any material to set fire to.
Here are the various types of sewer protectors available in the market:
Copper Gutter Shutters: Copper guards are extremely durable and can be your perfect choice if you are looking for something for a long term use. This is because copper sewer shutters do not either rust or rot. However, you need to maintain the original color of the copper protectors by applying sealants to them on a regular basis.
Aluminum Gutter Shutters: Aluminum guards usually have the longevity of around 10 to 15 years. However, the duration may vary from various factors such as the weather conditions, the level of maintenance followed by the user and the galvanization used. Even in this case, you may use sealants to prevent the aluminum sewer protectors from rusting quickly.
Plastic Gutter Shutters: Plastic guards are available in a wide range of colors, enabling you to purchase one that would be most perfectly compatible with the design and the color of your house roof.
While these are mainly the three types of gutter protectors available in the market, you have to make the right choice according to your personal preferences, requirements, and budget.